Thursday, November 1, 2012

Microsoft's Leaping Forward --Finally!

(Credit: Microsoft latest Operating System.)



Microsoft unleashed their new desktop/tablet/laptop Operating System, Windows 8. Windows 7 was their best desktop OS. Windows 7 was a much needed upgrade since they released Vista but that was 3 years ago. Now Microsoft has really bumped up the innovation with their four day old Operating System. Well it's not actually four days old, it's been in beta for some time now.

Windows 8 and Windows RT was officially released to the public on Friday. I know awhile back I did post an article when Windows 8 was in beta about how I thought the new metro interface of windows was horrible. Not the new design was bad but how Microsoft was designing this to work on both a tablet and computer. Since the release of windows 8 I have corrected my view.

So far it seems that the Windiws 8 was designed essentially for touch screen which was the reason I didn't like it in the first place. But I am hearing reports that Microsoft has improved the multi-touch capabilities on the laptop trackpads. Multi fingered gestures are MUCH smoother. And there are also gestures that support the new features in Windows and RT.

I have not yet upgraded to Microsofts latest but I do have a windows 7 laptop with a fairly large trackpad and I do plan on upgrading. So I do think it is worth it to upgrade if you have a laptop but if you have a desktop I recommend not only having a mouse but also a trackpad for better navigation in the new Windows interface.

Now in a nutshell the new Windows 8 metro interface is the redesigned tiled Start menu. This is one if the main new features in Windows 8. Although if you are wanting to upgrade for other features such as the Windows 8 Store, you can get back the old Start menu with a little tweaking. Everything else on Windows 8 pretty much runs the same as in Windows 7. Weather or not you want to upgrade is up to you but I think Microsoft has some big plans for the future of computing with the Windows Operating System.

1 comment: